Friday, April 12, 2019

Adoption - A Loving and Self-Less Option

Good morning out there - It is still dark outside - 5:02 a.m. to be exact!
I'm wide awake and drinking my first cup of really strong coffee to start my day!
Y'all know that I was adopted at birth. I have shared my story many times. I know
that adoption is a loving life option. You are probably wondering where I'm going
with this so...let me tell you a story.
Last night Jim and I were watching NCIS. That is one of the few shows we watch.
In the story, one of the agents had a daughter and gave her up for adoption several
years ago. Anyway, to get to the point - she and the daughter met face to face and
the daughter was angry and felt abandoned. The story continued and at the end,
the agent, (birth mom) gave her biological daughter a picture of the two of them
right after she was born and a note with her number that she could call at any time.
That is how the story line ended last night.
These type of scenes always hurt my heart. As someone who was adopted at birth I
can honestly say that I have never been angry about being adopted.
I was crying quietly and Jim asked me a question and I just held up my hand for him
to give me a moment. I turned off the TV and told him how I felt about that story line.
I have to hit save right now and will come back to this in a couple of hours.


Well it is not just a couple of hours later it is another day - a very windy day!
I feel like it is really important to promote adoption for the human babies. I have
seen too many scenes on television that portray anger and hurt on the adopted
child/adult's behalf. Adoption IS a loving life option - a very selfless option. It
is important to stress that a birth mom is doing what she thinks is best for her
baby when she agrees to adoption. I can't even imagine how difficult that decision
would be. I was raised knowing that I was adopted. I was told very loving stories
about when my parents, older brother and grandmother drove to Ft. Worth, Texas
to pick me when I was just three days old. When I was older I asked more
questions and my mom explained that my birth mother was not able to take care of me
so she gave me to a family who could and would take care of me. That pretty much
answered my questions. I've never felt anger or any negative feelings
toward my birth mother. Now that I'm older I realize how hard that decision must
have been for her. I pray for her. I pray that she married a kind and wonderful man.
I pray that she had more children and that they love her very much.
I pray that if she wonders about me...that God showers her with peace and lets her
know  that I'm okay and that I understand she did what was best for me.
I was adopted before abortion was legal. I don't dwell on what her decision might
have been if abortion had been a legal option.
I think about all the babies who were adopted after abortion became legal and I
am so glad that your birth mother chose life for you. If you were adopted
please understand that you weren't abandoned - you were given an amazing
chance - a chance to live, to grow up and someday have a family of your own!
Oh I know, not all adoption stories are perfect - life can be hard - even for babies
and children who were planned and raised with their biological parents.
But at least with adoption you get a chance. My story is a happy one and I know
several people who have been adopted and their stories are happy ones as well.
I know couples who have adopted more than one child, who have adopted children
with disabilities, who have adopted children from foster care. And I know couples
who are wanting to adopt a baby right now.
I have to hit save again - I will continue as soon as I can.
It's been a busy week - I began this post on Wednesday morning at 5:02 a.m. It is
now 10:51 a.m. on Friday morning. After re-reading what I've written so far - I
think (hope) that I've made a valid point.
We need to get the positive message of adoption out there.
Adoption gives you a chance at life - Abortion just ends a life.
Adoption saves generations. Abortion ends generations.


The beginning of my story -
Once upon a time, fifty or so years ago, a baby girl was born and she needed
a home. Never knowing the circumstances or the reason why, her birth mother
couldn't keep her, she had to say goodbye. This little baby girl was three days
old when a loving family came, and took her to their home. Now this baby girl
had a family of her own.
With love and joy and happiness this baby girl grew up, she never met a stranger
and her heart was full of love. She loved to hear the stories about her special day
the day her family came and gave her their name.

Let's promote adoption for the human babies
because every baby should be able to grow up
and have a story to tell.
https://adoptedandblessed.blogspot.com/2014/12/every-baby-should-be-able-to-grow-up.html
Blessings to you and yours,
Bye for now, Sharla





No comments:

Post a Comment