Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Weep With Those Who Weep and Mourn With Those Who Mourn

Hello out there - I haven't written a post in over a week and I have a lot to share with
all of you. Once again I am beginning my post with deep sadness in my heart. My
heart, my prayers, my tears go out to all of the people who lost loved ones, neighbors,
and friends in the shooting rampage at a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas this past
Sunday.
It is hard for me to write about uplifting things when I know that people are hurting
and grieving. I feel helpless and sad. So I do what comes natural to me. I pray and I
bake and I thank God for my blessings.
Jim didn't have a job to do yesterday so we spent the whole day together. We got up
early and went to the Adoration Chapel to pray. Jim prayed and I cried. He handed me
his bandana and after I wiped away all of my tears and my nose I handed it back to
him and he told me to keep it. I finally stopped crying and began to read the scriptures
for the day in my devotional, the Magnificat. It was 6:00 a.m. when we left to drive
back home. There was a dense fog in the air as we drove home. We heated up left-overs
for breakfast and went over some book work for our family business. Jim poured
pinto beans into "the bean pot" and covered them with water while I wrote out some
invoices. We changed clothes and went for a two mile walk. It was really humid
outside. The fog had risen but it was still kind of hazy and the leaves from the plants
and trees had glistening drops of dew on them. I didn't feel like walking very fast and
told Jim to go on ahead.
I walked and prayed my rosary and Jim would turn back every now and then to
check on me. We came home and cleaned up. Jim drained the water from the beans
and added fresh water and turned the burner on low. I added some salt pork to
"the bean pot" (I always cook beans in this pan) and then we headed into town. We
stopped at a little restaurant for lunch, ran some errands and came back home.
Jim went outside to mow and I sat down to shell some pecans. I made a double
batch of cornbread to go with our red beans for dinner. Red beans and cornbread -
a simple meal and really good - comfort food.
Jim had a job to go and do today. I have a thick and hearty stew simmering on
the stove in my big cast iron skillet. I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies with
pecans (the ones I shelled yesterday) in them. It is really cool outside today and the
aroma from the stew smells so good. I am fixing to make a pitcher of tea and then
I think I will shell some more pecans.
I will write another post soon about all the things I wanted to share today - but my
heart just hurts right now.
I will close with the following scripture (it happens to be one of my favorites and
most of the time I think about the different gifts God has blessed us with, but today
I am feeling this) - towards the end of this scripture reading it says,
 "weep with those who weep" yes, I am weeping.
One of the scriptures from my Magnificat for today is -
A reading from the Letter of Saint Paul to the Romans 12:5-16
Brothers and Sisters:
We, though many, are one Body in Christ and individually parts of one another.
Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us exercise
them:
if prophecy, in proportion to the faith;
if ministry, in ministering;
if one is a teacher, in teaching;
if one exhorts, in exhortation;
if one contributes, in generosity;
if one is over others, with diligence;
if one does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.
Let love be sincere; hate what is evil, hold on to what is good;
love one another with mutual affection; anticipate one another in showing honor.
Do not grow slack in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.
Rejoice in hope, endure in affliction, persevere in prayer.
Contribute to the needs of the holy ones, exercise hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you, bless and do not curse them.
Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.
Have the same regard for one another; do not be haughty but associate with the lowly.
May God bless you and your families wherever you are.


                                                       Peace and Blessings, Sharla







No comments:

Post a Comment