Thursday, January 19, 2017

BLESSINGS FROM THE SACK LUNCH MINISTRY

Good Morning out there! I hope you are all doing well. It is a chilly 37 degrees
this morning. The weather channel says that our area should reach a high of 70 degrees
today. I view things in such a different way now. Volunteering for the Sack Lunch
Ministry has opened my eyes to so many things. We turn our thermostat down pretty
low at night. But as soon as we wake up the thermostat is turned back up to get the
chill out of our home. Yesterday, I was driving across town and I went by the big
overpass where many of the homeless have their tents set up underneath the bridge.
I wondered how many of them come and get a sack lunch. My heart hurt as I passed
by. I thought about all those people this morning just as soon I asked Jim to turn up
the thermostat.
I can't even imagine what their lives are like. The Sack Lunch Ministry has been back
in operation since Monday, January 16, 2016. The first couple of days we didn't have
very many people but it began to pick back up yesterday. Several commented on how
happy they were to see us and we told them that we were happy to see them too! Please
keep the homeless in your prayers. It really upsets me when I hear people say things
like, "they choose to be that way, or they want to live like that." When I see these
people I just want to help them. I don't judge them. I have been loved and protected
my whole life. I can't even begin to imagine what these people have gone through,
what happened in their lives, what they have suffered to leave them homeless.
Not everyone that comes for a lunch is homeless. Some are just having trouble making
ends meet. It doesn't matter why they come. We are just thankful that we are able to
provide them with a meal, a smile, sometimes clothing, and sometimes a listening ear.
When I called everyone to let them know that we were ready to start this important
ministry back up, everyone was so glad. All of our volunteers were ready to start making
lunches and hand them out.
Monday was amazing - Two gentlemen from Holy Angels Parish showed up with ten,
forty count packs of water. They informed us that they would be delivering water to us
every week! Another parishioner from Holy Angels dropped off cookies and candy.
She would stop by almost weekly during the fall and holiday season to leave individually
wrapped cookies!
Another volunteer brought several items that had been donated by the St. Ambrose Youth Group from Wall. They donated turkey lunch meat, cheese, chips, peanut butter crackers,
bread, and a monetary donation was given also. Yesterday, one of our volunteers brought
a bag full of ladies jackets and sweaters. My husband picked up a bag of cotton gloves and
they went quickly.
Last night I received an email letting me know that the Guadalupana Sociedad from our
parish, Sacred Heart Cathedral, was donating a large monetary donation to the
Sack Lunch Ministry! Everyone involved with the Sack Lunch Ministry is so thankful!
We thank God for all of you! Please know that everything you do means so much!
Thank you and thank you! There are not enough words -
 (and believe me, I've got some words) that adequately express our thanks to these
wonderful organizations and individuals who give so much.
Your kind hearts and concern for those in need make my heart swell and my tears fall.
To all of our faithful volunteers - y'all are amazing! This important ministry would not
survive without the people who take the time to prepare the lunches, hand them out, and
clean up. My heart is full! Thank you all for touching my life just as you touch those
we serve!
I know that I share the words from these hymns a lot.............but the words are so true!
God bless you all!


The Servant Song by Richard Gillard
Verse 1: Will you let me be your servant, let me be as Christ to you;
Pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant, too.
Verse 2: We are pilgrims on a journey, we are travelers on the road;
We are here to help each other walk the mile and bear the load.
(I really love verse 4)
I will weep when you are weeping; when you laugh I'll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow til we've seen this journey through.


We Are Many Parts by Marty Haugen
Refrain: We are many parts, we are all one body,
and the gifts we have we are given to share.
May the spirit of love make us one indeed;
one, the love that we share, one, our hope in despair,
one, the cross that we bear.



No comments:

Post a Comment