Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Faith, Intercessory Prayers, Scriptures, and Christian Warfare

 Hello out there! I've been doing some research for this post - I've jotted down notes, scriptures, and websites. Saint Monica and Saint Augustine, type their names in the search bar and you can find all kinds of information. Intercessory prayer, the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, Patron Saints, and fighting against the evil and wickedness of this world. The topics for my blog today!

A quick story that will explain why I'm writing about St. Monica and St. Augustine: Jim and I were in south Dallas on May 29th. We were going to his cousin's funeral and had arrived early. We like to visit Catholic Churches when we are traveling. I looked up Catholic Churches in the area. St. Augustine Catholic Church was only a couple of miles away. We drove to the church and hoped the doors would be unlocked, they were. We walked inside and it was so peaceful and beautiful. We were the only ones in the church. We walked up to the front pew and knelt. A feeling of peace washed over me. Tears began to flow down my face, I looked at Jim and said, "This is where we are supposed to be." I began to pray for all the people who have asked for our prayers for their children, their loved ones who struggle with alcoholism, drugs, failing marriages, etc. I asked for St. Augustine to please pray for them, for him to intercede on their behalf. I thought of St. Monica and how she prayed so diligently, so fervently for her loved ones. I asked for her intercession for the mothers and fathers who are praying so hard, whose hearts are breaking. Isn't it amazing how God leads us to where we need to be?

The scriptures I share in my blog today are from our family bible, Saint Joseph Edition of the New American Bible.

Christian Warfare:                                                                                                                           Ephesians 6:10-17

Finally, draw your strength from the Lord and his mighty power. Put on the armor of God so that you may be able to stand firm against the tactics of the devil. Our battle is not against human forces but against the principalities and powers, the rulers of this world of darkness, the evil spirits in regions above. You must put on the armor of God if you are to resist on the evil day; do all that your duty requires, and hold your ground. Stand fast, with the truth as the belt around your waist, justice as your breastplate, and zeal to propagate the gospel of peace as your footgear. In all circumstances hold faith up before you as your shield; it will help you extinguish the fiery darts of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the spirit, the word of God. 

Assiduous Prayer:   ( I looked up the word, assiduous - it means, diligent, steadily attentive.)                 Ephesians 6:18-20

At every opportunity pray in the Spirit, using prayers and petitions of every sort. Pray constantly and attentively for all in the holy company. Pray for me that God may put his word on my lips, that I may courageously make known the mystery for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may have the courage to proclaim it as I ought.

I am guilty of thinking, "I know that scripture" so I will just glance over it. As I typed the scriptures from Ephesians, I read them over and over. It made me think about Paul, and how he worked so hard to share the gospel, the faith and determination he maintained. The following is the last four verses in his Epistle to the Ephesians.

Conclusion:                                                                                                                                  Ephesians 6:21-24

Tychicus, my dear brother and faithful minister in the Lord, will keep you informed as to how I am and what I am doing. I have sent him to you for the very purpose of giving you news about me for your hearts' consolation.                                                                                                                        May God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ grant the brothers peace and love and faith. Grace be with all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with unfailing love.

I don't think I've ever read those last four verses - They are so full of hope and love - The final verse, "Grace be with all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with unfailing love."  I say, "Amen and amen"!

The St. Michael Prayer is one my family and I repeat on a daily basis - and sometimes, this prayer is prayed multiple times!

                                                                         St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

I looked up Saint Monica to find out more information about her life. I typed in her name and several links popped up. The following information is from this link:
Angelic Warfare Confraternity
Dominican Friars, Province of Saint Joseph
The Tears of St. Monica 

St. Monica is a Patron Saint of:
Alcoholics
Conversion
Mothers
Wives

I'm going to summarize what I read: Monica was married to a pagan, Patricius, he had a violent temper, and did not treat her very well. Her mother-in-law lived with them, the link said she was cantankerous. These are my words, and if that wasn't bad enough...her oldest son, Augustine was living an immoral life. St. Monica prayed and her tears flowed for her family. She had two other sons. Her husband and mother-in-law finally came to know and believe in the Lord. Her husband, Patricius, died one year after he was baptized. He died in 371.  If you don't already know the rest of her story, go to the above website, it is very thorough. It does say that almost all we know about St. Monica is in the writings of St. Augustine, especially in his, Confessions. 

As I read about St. Monica I thought about how she continued to pray and pray and pray. She never lost hope that her prayers would someday be answered.  We must pray without ceasing for our loved ones - God hears us, and our tears have not gone unnoticed! Pray for one another. It isn't always easy and sometimes our prayer needs to be for ourselves - to be able to continue praying, for perseverance and strength in dealing with situations that break our hearts.                                                 

Prayer to the Holy Spirit

COME, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and enkindle in them the fire of your love.

Galatians 5:22-23

In contrast, the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patient endurance, kindness, generosity, faith, mildness and chastity. Against such there is no law!

BUT WAIT! Read what comes before verses 22 and 23!

Galatians 5:13-21

Proper Use of Freedom: (Wow and Amen!)

My brothers, remember that you have been called to live in the freedom-but not a freedom that gives free rein to the flesh. Out of love, place yourselves at one another's service. The whole law has found its fulfillment in this one saying: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." If you go on biting and tearing one another to pieces, take care! You will end up in mutual destruction!                                My point is that you should live in accord with the spirit and you will not yield to the cravings of the flesh. The flesh lusts against the spirit and the spirit against the flesh; the two are directly opposed. This is why you do not do what your will intends. If you are guided by the spirit, you are not under the law. It is obvious what proceeds from the flesh: lewd conduct, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, hostilities, bickering, jealousy, outbursts of rage, selfish rivalries, dissensions, factions, envy drunkenness, orgies and the like. I warn you, as I have warned you before: those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God!

I had to get out my dictionary and look some of the words in the above scriptures up!

The Gifts of the Holy Spirit:

Wisdom, Understanding, Knowledge, Counsel, Fortitude, Piety, and Fear of the Lord

I went to LoyolaPress.com/catholic-resources and found the definition for each one of the gifts. I wrote them in my notes but I'll let you look them up!

I will close with the following scripture from Isaiah:

Isaiah 11:2-3

The spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him: a spirit of wisdom and of understanding, A spirit of counsel and of strength, a spirit of knowledge and of fear of the Lord, and his delight shall be the fear of the Lord.

                Pray without ceasing!                

Peace and blessings to you and yours!

Bye for now, Sharla




No comments:

Post a Comment