Monday, August 29, 2016

An Act of Kindness from a Young Boy's Heart

Hello out there! I hope you all are doing well. I told y'all in my last post that I would
share something that happened at the Sack Lunch Ministry a week ago Friday.
Three of my grandchildren came to help hand out lunches and decorate sacks on
Friday, August 19th. My oldest grandson had drawn a picture and brought it with
him. He told me that he wanted to give it to someone. I said that would be fine and
didn't think much more about it. One of our regulars, a young man probably in his
early twenties came in to get his lunch. This young man is very quiet, he rarely makes
eye contact and I can't even imagine what his life is like. He took his lunch and sat
down at the end of the table from where I was sitting. I was on one end writing
messages on the sacks and he was all the way at the other end eating his lunch. My
three grandchildren were sitting across the table from me writing positive messages
on the sacks and decorating them. All of sudden my grandson stood up and walked
over to the young man. I watched as he pushed his picture of a fire breathing dragon
across the table to the young man who had just finished eating his lunch. I heard my
grandson say something like, "This is for you." I watched the young man take the
picture and look my grandson in the eye as he said, "Thank you." My grandson
walked back to his seat and I continued to watch the young man as he looked at the
picture. He stood up and carried the picture in his left hand and picked up the trash
from his lunch in his right hand. He walked by the trash can and threw his trash away.
He left the cafeteria holding the picture that my grandson had drawn and colored. I
saw him look down at the picture once more as he walked out the door.
I told my grandson that he picked the perfect person to give that picture too. It
probably meant more to that young man than it would have anyone else. My grandson
smiled and told me that he knew that man was the one it should go too. I wonder what
went through his mind, the young man who is so distant and seems so very alone. I
told my husband about it that night and I said I would carry that picture in my heart.
The picture of my lanky, blonde-haired, blue eyed, ten year old grandson walking over
to a young, stocky black man who looks as if he hasn't had very much happiness in his
life and giving him a picture of a fire breathing dragon. Who knows what that one act
of kindness may make in that young man's life? Hopefully a feeling of knowing that
someone really does care.
At one point, children were brought to him so that he could place
his hands on them in prayer. The disciples began to scold them, but
Jesus said, "Let the children come to me. Do not hinder them. The
kingdom of God belongs to such as these." And he laid his hands on their
heads before he left that place. Matthew 19:13-15
(Saint Joseph Edition of the New American Bible)


Blessings to you and yours!    
                                 Bye for now, Sharla

No comments:

Post a Comment