Sunday, November 25, 2018

Following the Light and A Time of Reflection

Hello out there! I hope you are having a wonderfully blessed day! I sat down to catch
up on my bookwork and finally had time to look at my blog. I just haven't had the time,
the energy, or even the right words or really any words to write lately. But this morning
I received the motivation I needed. I won't bore you with the details because it would
probably sound kind of silly but I will say it was like a bonk to the head and involved
a lot of tears! And so..... let me begin with something that happened last month.






Thursday, October 25, 2018
I received a phone call from one of my closest friends (more like a sister). Her husband
and my husband have been best friends since they were in ninth grade, their family is
our family and our family is their family. Their son is our Godchild, they are Godparents
to two of our children - you get the picture. His mom has always been like a second
mom to my husband. They moved away many years ago but we have always stayed in
touch. We drove down there last spring to visit with all of them. Jim has called her
almost every Sunday for many years. We get to see our friends a little more often but
we have always made the time to travel and see his mom and dad for special occasions.
She (mom) had been battling cancer for quite a while.
I received the phone call at about 4:15 pm letting me know that she might not make it
through the night - we were already planning to drive down and see her the next day.
I called my husband and told him the news - he said that he would call them and for
me to get gas in the car and pack an overnight bag. We left our house at about 5:45 pm
and headed East - we hoped to be there by 10:00 pm. Jim was tired so I drove. We
stopped in Brady and grabbed a couple of sandwiches and got back on the road. It
was dark and as we drove towards San Saba the most beautiful Harvest Moon began
to rise in the sky. It looked orange at first as it passed in and out of the clouds. I
began praying the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary. The symbolism was so perfect -
The full moon rose higher and it was so bright. The light of the moon - the Luminous
Mysteries of the Rosary - I felt like we were following the light - that Mother Mary
was right there with us. We arrived in time to be with our friends and we were able
to say our final goodbyes. We were so thankful that we had made it. We stayed for
awhile but had to get back  home. We arrived home at 4:00 am and Jim was at work
at 7:00 am. The funeral was the following Monday and we were all together once
more - saying our goodbyes and remembering all the good times.


Friday, November 2, 2018
Another trip - we headed south east this time - a fun trip - to visit our oldest son and
our granddaughters. We weren't able to leave until after lunch because Jim had a job to
finish. We arrived that evening and spent some time visiting and catching up before
we went back to the hotel. We met for breakfast on Saturday morning and then
went to a neat place that taught you/reminded you about nature; bee keeping, gardens,
herbs, plants, etc. Then we headed to the big city to watch our younger granddaughter
play softball - she is really good! We enjoyed the game and said our goodbyes.
We were heading back home because the Closing Celebration for the
2018 Fall 40 Days for Life Campaign was going to take place on Sunday,
November 4, 2018 at 3:00 pm. Everything was planned and organized. I drove the
first three hours and then Jim took over. I started sending out text messages reminding
everyone about the closing celebration. We were about three hours from home and
driving through a small town - the light was green and as Jim entered the intersection
another car decided to turn left right in front of us.
I just remember the awful noise, Jim pulling the airbag off of my face, and that my
lower legs hurt. Thanks be to God, we all walked away from the accident - the other
people were okay also - just shaken up. We had to spend the night at a hotel and
our son-in-law came and picked us up the next morning. My lower legs were hurting
where the lower airbag hit them. Jim took me to the ER when we got back to San Angelo,
we didn't make it to the closing.  The 40 Days for Life Closing Celebration went
on as planned and the ladies in charge did a great job!
The wreck has made me think about things - how quickly things can change, how quickly
life can end, and plans made are not always going to go as "planned"! Life goes on!
The next day, the following morning to be exact - Jim and I were at the hospital because
he was scheduled to have a procedure. I prayed while his biopsy was taking place. The
thing that touches my heart when I look back is that when we walked out the door and
crossed the street we were leaning on each other. My left leg was very swollen so I
walked with a limp, and he had an ice pack taped to his throat - we both laughed and
reminisced about another time we were leaning on each other many years before.
Since that day three weeks ago tomorrow  - a lot has happened; special time with our
family, Thanksgiving, a Thanksgiving Meal for those we serve at the St. Francis
Sack Lunch Ministry, friends and family checking on us, and some prayerful
reflection.
Last night Jim and I watched, "A Christmas Story" the one about the little boy
who wanted the Red Ryder BB Gun - we actually saw it at the movie theater
when it first came out. We ate homemade potato soup and watched that funny
show. Life is a gift - spend time with your loved ones and put down the phones!
Life is full of ups and downs and our faith and our family, is why I write.
Telling our stories of hope, love, commitment, faith, family, and perseverance.
These stories will mean something to our children and grandchildren years from now -
memories full of guidance, love, and how God must come first in our lives.
I'm headed to pick up my Ford Explorer tomorrow - they were able to repair it.
A little nervous about the drive, which seems so odd because I've always just jumped
in my vehicle and taken off here, there, and everywhere. An accident can change
your perspective - it has sure changed mine. Tomorrow is Monday and I will pray
the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary as I head southeast once more. Mother Mary
will be right there with me as the morning and afternoon sun light the road up
ahead. God is always my guiding light and I am so thankful for that!
God bless you all, near or far, wherever you are!
I love the following scripture - it is one of my favorites - and I always think of my
marriage to Jim - so blessed, so very blessed!








Genesis 2:21-24So the Lord God cast a deep sleep on the man, and while he was
asleep, he took out one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh.
The Lord God then built up into a woman the rib that he had taken from the man.
When he brought her to the man, the man said:
"This one, at last, is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh;
This one shall be called 'woman,' for out of 'her man' this one has been taken."
That is why a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife, and
the two of them become one body.

No comments:

Post a Comment