Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Trying to Bring People Together to Pray for the Unborn

Hello out there. I woke up this morning at 2:30 a.m. I could not go back to sleep. I
prayed the Divine Mercy Chaplet and I thought about the current 40 Days for Life
campaign. I prayed some more and I tossed and turned. I've had a lot on  my mind.
I always try to be upbeat and write in a positive way but sometimes things just aren't
very positive. Since my posts are from my heart and about what I think and feel -
some days are just hard. This quote came back to me last night as I tossed and turned,

"God has not called me to be successful. He has called me to be faithful"
St. Teresa of Calcutta (Mother Teresa)


This is the fifth campaign we have held in the courtyard at Sacred Heart. There are
many blessings that come with being involved in this peaceful, prayerful vigil. But
there is heartache as well. Praying for a conversion of hearts and letting people know
about all the help that is available is so important. I have to admit - I was very naïve
when I started planning the first campaign back in the summer of 2014. I just knew
that the courtyard would be full of people every hour during the twelve hours a day
vigil. I thought that people of all denominations would come together and pray for
an end to abortion. I was on the phone constantly inviting people and telling them
all about the prayer vigil. Just sign up for one hour a week during the 40 days - it
seemed so simple. I  came across the newspaper article I sent to the Standard Times
inviting people of all faiths to come out and pray. The article came out about two
weeks before the first campaign in the courtyard. I read it and smiled at my positive
outlook. I excitedly told everyone about the campaign and then I invited people to
please call and sign up. This is the last sentence from the article I wrote -
I look forward to hearing from hundreds, no, make that thousands of pro-life
Christians of all denominations! Thank you and have a blessed day!
I received one phone call after that article was published. I didn't give up. I went
and visited churches, gave a short talk and had sign-up sheets. I dropped information
off at churches. I was even on the five o'clock news! My naivety quickly turned to
reality - bringing people together to pray for the unborn, something that seemed so
simple, wasn't simple at all.  But I've found out that anything worth fighting for
takes work and perseverance.
Don't get me wrong, many people do come and pray. I am so thankful for each and
everyone of them. There are many blessings throughout the forty days. The part
that hurts is there could be so many more.
Please pray for me right now. I know that God has put this on my heart because He
knows I won't give up but I'm tired today, my battle armor is rusty and my boots
feel heavy. God bless you all. Please pray for the babies from wherever you are.
                                                                     Bye for now, Sharla

No comments:

Post a Comment