Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Our Trip to the Desert - Pictures and Memories Along the Way - Chapter 1

Hello out there! It has been such a long time since I've written a post - fifteen days
to be exact! I have so much to tell y'all! Let's get started...……..
Guess how many miles are on my new car - Jim and I took a road trip last week and
we drove all the way to Phoenix, AZ! We made lots of stops along the way and I am
ready to tell y'all all about it! I am also going to share a bunch of pictures because
they are awesome and you need to see them!
3503.6 miles - that is what my odometer says! I think it had 48 miles when we bought
it and that was on June 27th! I'm trying to think of a name for my car - when I had my
truck I would say, "It's in the truck, Where's my truck, Jump in the truck" stuff like
that and this vehicle isn't a truck, or a car, it's like a mid-size SUV. I told Jim that I
thought we should call it Camino (that stands for road/highway in Spanish). Jim just
looked at me - I couldn't tell if it was a, "Sounds good" look or "Are you serious" look.
Anyway, I'm still debating about the name thing - "Jump in my mid-size SUV" is just
not going to work! One of my friends said that since it is a Latte color I should call it,
"Lottie" but that doesn't fit either - I still like Camino!
I like road maps, good old fashioned road maps - the only problem is.....they take up
way too much room when you open them up and they tear. Jim bought me an Atlas
when we were on our last trip. It's great! Yes, we do use the map ap on our phone
when we are looking for a certain place (and that lady is always mad at us - reroute,
reroute, she shouts!) But when we are driving down the highway I want to see where
we are going and what town/city is next.
You might be wondering why we chose Phoenix, AZ as our destination. We were
invited to attend the 40 Days for Life Symposium (7/20 - 7/22/18) for campaign
leaders. Our room and most of the meals were paid for - we just had to get there! Since
we had never been to Arizona we decided that we would turn this trip into a week long
vacation with the Symposium right at the end. I called it our "35 years anniversary trip"!
Our anniversary was in June and I found this card a couple of weeks after our
anniversary. I decided to give it to Jimmy on our 35 years and 1 month anniversary -
I could just see us in this card - driving down the highway!
He loved it! I placed it right in the middle of my Atlas on the Arizona page for y'all
to get both pictures!
I better get busy if I'm going to get through the first day much less the whole week!
We left last Monday (7/16/18) at about 11:00 a.m. or so. We took a little detour
because Jim wanted to show me this area he had seen while he was driving in from a
job. We went through Ozona and headed west on I 10. We took the exit to
Fort Lancaster and pulled over at this parking area. The picture below is the incredible
view and the next picture is a really interesting Historical Marker that was right
where we parked.



We walked around a little bit and got back in the "Camino" and headed west once
more. We drove across this old bridge above the Pecos River. We continued on and as
we were passing through Fort Hancock the clouds became darker.

And we drove all the way to Las Cruces, New Mexico, which is about half way, and
found a place to stay, grabbed a bite to eat, and called it a night!
The next morning (Tuesday) we ate breakfast at the hotel and then we decided to go for a
walk before the long drive ahead. We went to the college campus and walked all around
it - New Mexico State University. They have a beautiful campus and I would have taken
pictures of the turtles in the pond but I didn't have my phone with me! We drove through
town and right behind a bank building was the statue of "The Pieta"! We made a U-turn
and parked.
The inscription on the bronze plaque reads -
"O Suffering Jesus!
O Sorrowful Mary!
September 24, 1941"

Isn't that heartbreakingly beautiful? We thought it was so wonderful that it was right
in the middle of Las Cruces.
I have so much more to share but I have to go and fix dinner! I really will write another
post tomorrow about the rest of the journey on Tuesday! I will probably have to wait
until Thursday to write about last Wednesday and Thursday!

                                                                         Blessings to you and yours,
                                                                                       Bye for now, Sharla










No comments:

Post a Comment