Sunday, December 17, 2017

The Third Sunday of Advent - Blessings and Preparations

Hello out there! Today is the Third Sunday of Advent! I seem to get nostalgic and
kind of sentimental (weepy, but happy tears) this time of year! My heart feels like it
wants to jump out of my chest right now because of all the love that is over-flowing
in it!





 The story that follows is from this morning going back to Friday night.
Jim and I drove to Miles this morning to watch our grandchildren perform in a
Christmas Pageant at their parish, St. Thomas Catholic Church. Precious! Oh my
goodness! The children acted out the parts of the song, "The Twelve Days of
Christmas" - One granddaughter was one of the "Five Maids a Milking" she is four
years old and just looked adorable! The little caps they were wearing on their heads
were soooo cute! Her older sister was one of the "Three French Hens" and she was
wearing a very pretty long dress with her cowgirl boots and she looked very pretty.
She is growing up too fast! Our youngest grandson was one of the "Eleven Pipers
Piping" and he is the cutest little red head in the whole world! (He is the only red
headed grandchild we have so I can get away with saying that)! The story of the
Birth of Jesus was told next and our oldest grandson played the part of Joseph. He
looked so handsome and he is growing up way too fast also! I took a bunch of
pictures, imagine that?!
Yesterday was our son's birthday. (The father of the children in the pageant).
This is how the day went: (Early Saturday morning will be with the Friday
night timeline).
I was honored and humbled to speak at the "Magnificat" monthly meeting. If you
are feeling kind of empty inside - go to one of their meetings - The Holy Spirit is
right there - the faith and devotion these ladies have is such an inspiration. If you
are looking for a prayerful, spirit filled group - I really think that this will be
a wonderful group for you!
We begin with a prayer and scripture reading and then sing a song that will bring
tears to your eyes. The designated speaker is next and then we pray the rosary.
A potluck lunch is served afterwards and the fellowship is such a blessing!
Afterwards, I dashed to the store and bought groceries for our son's birthday
dinner. The menu was; pork ribs, red beans, salad, sweet potato with cheese
casserole (our daughter made) tortillas and a German Chocolate Cake with lots
of pecans for dessert. Because it is such a busy time of year, everyone arrived
at about 8:00 p.m. We ate dinner, had a nice boisterous visit (we are all loud) sang
Happy Birthday and ate cake! The kids also watched, "Despicable Me 3" and the
little ones removed the ornaments they liked from the tree! (Jim and I hung them
back on the tree after they left!) Everyone left about 10:00 p.m. Jim and I walked
outside and helped all the kids get loaded up! We waved goodbye and then hurried
back inside because it was cold!
Friday night - Our daughter and son-in-law, brought their three daughters over to
spend the evening with us while they went to his office Christmas Party.
They had picked up Chinese Food for us and the girls were ready to eat right when
they got here. They range in age from two and a half years - eleven and a half years
old. The oldest is a great, big sister and really helps out! We ate Chinese food,
played checkers, and cut snow-flakes out of paper we had colored on. The girls
were all tired and they ended up sleeping over which worked out great! Sometime
between 6:30 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. the girls walked into our room with the oldest
leading the way. She was carrying the battery operated Coleman lantern that I had
turned on to the night light mode and placed in their room the night before.
Jim got up with them and made coffee. It took me a few more minutes to climb out
of bed! Within the hour our daughter and son-in-law arrived to pick the girls up
because they had a busy morning planned out. After they left, I spent a little
quiet time reflecting on what I was going to share at the meeting, and prayed for
God to give me the right words - to share the message He wanted me to share.
I came into my office and made copies of an old magazine article my mom had in
her bible. She passed away in the fall of 1976 - she was diagnosed with cancer in
December of 1972 - right before I turned nine years old. My mom was a very
faithful woman; her strength and her faith gave me a strong foundation. I have no
idea which magazine this was cut out of, who wrote the article, or even when it
was published but I knew I wanted to share it with the ladies at the meeting.
I'm going to share it with you, too.
Be a light to others, lend a helping hand, be a shoulder to cry on, a smile to give hope, listen
attentively, hug often, weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice!
                                                                        Blessings to you and yours,
                                                                                  Bye for now, Sharla



No comments:

Post a Comment