Sunday, December 27, 2015

CALLING THEM BY NAME

Hello Out There! The 3rd Day of Christmas and ice is raining down! I thought it was
raining really hard and I looked outside and saw that the ground was being covered
in ice! I am thankful to be inside my warm home and I pray for those who are seeking
shelter. My husband is actually out in this weather because he wanted to go and buy
some cotton gloves for me to hand out at the Sack Lunch Ministry tomorrow. When he
left it was just misting outside and he called a minute ago and said that he already hit
a slick spot and to call the kids and tell them all to stay home. It is amazing how quickly
the weather can change. It looks like a winter wonderland right now. I will be glad
when Jim gets back home. I hope you are all having a joyful Christmas Season.
I wanted to share something that happened last week at the Sack Lunch Ministry.
Another parish brought all kinds of warm clothing to hand out, even some nice winter
boots. I wish you could see how the people's eyes light up when we have extra things
for them. We also handed out some more bags filled with hygiene items. Two of my
granddaughters were with me last Monday and they decorated sacks and the older one
helped hand out the sacks. A young man came in and I called him by name. I haven't
seen him in a while and he looked surprised and said "You remembered my name." I
smiled at him and replied that yes, I did and asked him how he was doing. My younger
granddaughter, who is 3 1/2 was coloring and I didn't realize that she was listening.
A lady came in and after she got her lunch she was looking through the clothes. My
granddaughter asked me what her name was, and I told her I didn't know. She looked
at me and said, "Go and ask her," I looked down at her and she said, "I want to know
her name." I went over to the lady and smiled at her and told her that my granddaughter
wanted to know what her name was, I told her my name, she smiled back and told
me her name and waved at my granddaughter. I told my little one the lady's name and
she repeated it. I realized something that day, how just knowing someone's name
can mean so much to them. As young as my granddaughter is, she seemed to realize
that. I like to take my grandchildren with me to help out when they can. I think it helps
them understand when we tell them to be grateful and thankful for all that they have.
I think it also teaches them compassion and why we should always do what we are able
to for others. Jim is back home, safe and sound, thanks be to God! I pray that you are
all blessed immensely during this beautiful Christmas Season! There are still 9 Days of
Christmas left, there is still time to bake cookies, send cards, make a phone call, or
stop by and see an old friend!
                            Rejoice in the Lord, always, again I say, Rejoice!
                                                                  Bye for now, Sharla

1 comment: