Sunday, February 9, 2020

And Through it All - Life Goes On!

Hello out there! This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad!
It seems like I'm always saying, "I haven't had much time to write posts for my
blog lately." Today is a new day and I guess it is time to share what has been
going on in my life.
Let me begin with thanksgiving and praise. I am truly blessed to have such a loving
and supportive family. I have also been blessed with loving and caring friends and
that includes my parish family. I've had so many amazing "Prayer Warriors" praying
for me and my family. And believe me, I have felt the power of their prayers.
December is a busy month for all of us. I went for my yearly mammogram in
mid-December. I have gone every year since I turned forty - I'm adopted and
don't know what my family health history is so I make sure that I follow all the
health screening guidelines. I received a phone call the day after my mammogram
and to summarize what happened next; diagnostic mammogram, needle biopsy
that showed cancer (caught very early) and appointments scheduled with an
oncologist for January 2nd and a surgeon later on. Jim and I told our adult
children and family that all would be well and we had a wonderful Christmas.
I don't care how old your children are - you always want to protect them.
I knew they needed to know the truth but I sure didn't want to worry them.
Jim and I met with the oncologist and he felt like I needed a special type of MRI.
We traveled to Abilene about ten days later and I had the MRI. It looked good,
I met with the surgeon the next week and scheduled surgery.
Before I go on I want to include something else. January is a very busy month for
pro-life people. I kept praying, "Lord, give me the strength I need, to do all that I
need to do." I was very happy when my surgery was scheduled for January 31st.
I was able to participate in the Silent Prayer Vigil we had scheduled for January
22nd, the 47th Anniversary of Roe v Wade. Our prayer vigil was held at noon
in front of the Tom Green County Courthouse. There were at least 130 people
who came to peacefully pray on that day. That evening I was blessed to spend
time with the youth at Sacred Heart Cathedral. We did a thirty minute
pro-life presentation for the 6th - 8th graders and then went down the hall and
did another thirty minute pro-life presentation for the 9th - 12th graders. I love
talking to our youth - they are amazing!
Saturday, January 25th - road trip with three of my oldest grandkids! On Friday
night, January 24th, I picked up my grandkids for a sleep over. My grandson
was turning 14 the next week and my granddaughters are 12 and 13. These
are only three of our grandchildren, we are blessed with ten! I knew that they
would understand and enjoy traveling to Austin for the Texas Rally for Life. We
were meeting up with several people from San Angelo and the surrounding
areas there. Three charter busses full of our friends and parish families were
leaving at 5:30 am on Saturday morning. Several families, like us, were taking
our own vehicles. Jim fixed breakfast burritos for us and helped us get every
thing loaded up. He was smiling and waving as we drove out of the driveway
at 5:45 am. I think he said something like, "better you than me!" That was just
fine with me! The kids and I had a great time. We met everyone in Austin
at St. Louis King of France Catholic Church for Mass. It was packed! Families
and youth groups from all across Texas. We ate lunch in the Parish Hall
afterwards. The Knights of Columbus had grilled hamburgers and we sat down
and ate with our friends. The next part was a little  nerve racking - driving to the
parking place where we were going to meet and march to the Capitol. I'll just
say this - we made it! We parked and caught up with everyone else and then
we marched. The kids loved it! There were posters everywhere. They all had
such neat and unique messages. The kids were holding posters we picked up
at the church. They said that next year they're going to make their own. I wish
you could have seen all the happy, smiling faces. Being around all the young
people who are pro-life - they get it, they really do! My grandkids loved it all.
When someone would holler, "We are" and everyone else would holler back,
"Pro-Life!" My grandkids voices were loud and proud. When we made it to the
front lawn of the Capitol there was music and singing. We heard from different
speakers, someone who survived an abortion and political leaders as well.
When the Rally was over we went inside of the Capitol. The State Capitol of
Texas is a beautiful building. My grandkids went up the stairs and around all
the balconies. They would wave at me - I was tired and decided to stay on the
ground floor of the rotunda. They took so many pictures and learned so much.
I was glad that I had been able to take them inside to see our State Capitol.
We finally left and went looking for where we parked - we have already figured
out an easier plan for next year! I took them to visit some of our oldest and
dearest friends who happen to live in South Austin. They haven't seen the kids
in quite awhile. They had snacks ready for us and we had a nice visit. We left
and drove a little ways back into town and had dinner at Cheddars. The food
was good and our waiter was really sweet and a young man himself.
He asked what we were doing there and we told him all about it. He seemed
really interested and shook our hands and told us to have a safe trip back home.
We left the restaurant at 8:00 pm. We had a long drive ahead of us to get back
home. All was well until we stopped in Brady. I filled the Explorer up with gas
and everyone went to the bathroom and got a drink. I'm not sure what happened,
but delirium set in as soon as I started the engine. The kids started laughing and
wheezing, and then would laugh harder. This went on for about thirty-five
minutes, about the time we made it to Eden. I told them that I needed some
quiet time and they laughed harder. I started laughing too but told them in a firm
"Nana voice" that I meant it - knock it off! The remaining 45 minutes was quiet
and I was thankful. We took my 13 year old granddaughter home first, her dad was
waiting for her.  My other two are brother and sister and live another thirty five
miles away. They were going to spend another night at Nana and Pa's house.
As we drove across the low water crossing that is close to our home the dense
fog hovered above. It was midnight and past time for us all to be snug as bugs
tucked in our beds! We thanked the Good Lord for a safe trip home. I told
the kids goodnight and I slept like a log! The next day I was exhausted but I
was thankful that I had been able to take my grandkids on that trip. I pray
that I will be able to take each and every one of them as they grow older.
God had answered my prayers - I was able to participate in all the pro-life
activities we had planned for January. Now it was time to pray for my surgery.
I had a lumpectomy and some lymph nodes removed on Friday, January 31st.
I've heard back from pathologist - they got it all and my lymph nodes are
clear. Once I heal up from the surgery I'll have to have spot radiation for
4 - 6 weeks. I'll know more when I go back for my appointment next week.
They kept saying I have breast cancer and yes, I guess I do/did. But mine was
caught early. I just think of it more as a bad spot they had to take out. I'm
thankful it hadn't spread.
I think of all the women who have breast cancer, who've had to have
mastectomies, radical mastectomies, and had to endure chemotherapy and
radiation too - my heart goes out to each and every one of you!
I pray that you have great doctors:
oncologists, surgeons, etc. I pray that you are blessed with prayerful
people surrounding you and covering you with their prayers. I pray that
your family is supportive and encouraging. I pray that you are not burdened
with bills. I pray for your healing and your well being.
I have hesitated about posting this because it is such a personal thing. But I
hope my post will remind women why it is so important to get a mammogram
every year.
Our lives are busy and crazy sometimes - but the one thing I realize is life
does go on. Whether today is a good day in your life or maybe one full of
turmoil - reach out to others, let them surround you with prayer.
I have been blessed with cards, homemade meals brought to our home, roses
from my husband who has also been a strong shoulder to cry on. Our daughter
has come to help clean and organize. We've been blessed with gift cards for
meals, and the list goes on. The prayers, so many people praying for me and my
family - I am beyond humbled and truly blessed.
                                                           Blessings to you and yours,
                                                           near or far, wherever you are!
                                                                                 Sharla


One more thing - Last night we were blessed to do a pro-life presentation at
a girl's retreat that was held for 7th - 12th graders at one of our parishes.
One of my friends picked me up (I still can't drive) and we met another friend
and spent time with these amazing young ladies and the team of women in
charge of the retreat. We shared information with them and they were very
informative as well! Talking to our youth - letting them know that they are
special, and that God has wonderful plans for them, that we are all "fearfully
and wonderfully made" - I pray that I will be able to reach out to our youth
all the days that God gives me voice - and one young lady said - "We have to
be their voice" and she was talking about the precious unborn babies.
Matthew 18:1-4
At that time the disciples approached Jesus and said, "Who is the greatest
in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a child over, placed it in their
midst, and said, "Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like
children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles
himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.









1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story Sharla. I love your posts & will keep you in my prayers! Debbie M.

    ReplyDelete