Sunday, January 20, 2019

Open My Ears, Lord - I Want to Hear Your Voice

Hello out there! I went to the Pro-Life Mass that was held at our parish last night.
The scriptures for last night really touched my heart. I listened to the words from
God and tears welled up in my eyes. I've read these scriptures before and they
always "speak" to me. Being a pro-life advocate is very important to me but there
are many times when I wonder if anyone is listening. In January of 2013 I asked
our priest if I could speak at the end of Mass. I wanted to invite people to come and
pray in front of the Planned Parenthood (which closed eight months later) on Fridays
during the Spring 40 Days for Life Campaign. I was given permission and spoke
after each Mass that weekend. I had a table with sign-up sheets out in the vestibule
and I would hurry out there as soon as I finished speaking. After the Saturday night
Mass only one person signed up - my sister-in-law. I went home and told Jim that
I just didn't know what to do. I didn't sleep very well that night. I tossed and turned
and prayed. I asked God to please give me the words because no one seemed to
be listening. The next morning I got ready for the 10:00 am Mass. Jim could tell
that I was down and he told me not to give up. To make a long story short, I ended
up being the Lector/Reader that morning. The person who was signed up did not
show up and I was asked to step in. I had not read the scriptures before hand because
I wasn't scheduled for that weekend. The following is the first sentence from the
first reading:
Isaiah 62:1-5
For Zion's sake I will not be silent, for Jerusalem's sake I will not be quiet,
until her vindication shines forth like the dawn and her victory like a
burning torch.
To this day, I remember how my heart began to beat as I realized, "God has given
me the words, these are the words! I will not be silent - I will not be quiet!"
Needless to say - my voice rang out strong as I invited people to sign up that
day - and you know what? - They did, they signed up and they came out and
prayed!
Six years has passed and my voice has grown stronger. Oh, there are days when
I am tired, frustrated, and just need a short break. But for the most part -
God's words - the words I asked Him for - keep me going, for when I am weak,
He is strong.
Let's put on our battle armor and vow not to be silent because the unborn babies
need our voices to ring out strong.
Ephesians 6:10-17
Finally, draw your strength from the Lord and his mighty power. Put on the
armor of God so that you may be able to stand firm against the tactics of the
devil. Our battle is not against human forces but against the principalities
and powers, the rulers of this world of darkness, the evil spirits in regions
above. You must put on the armor of God if you are to resist on the evil
day; do all that your duty requires, and hold your ground. Stand fast, with
the truth as the belt around your waist, justice as your breastplate, and
zeal to propagate the gospel of peace as your footgear. In all circumstances
hold faith up before you as your shield; it will help you extinguish the
fiery darts of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the
spirit, the word of God.
Let us join our prayers together.
Please God, open our eyes to what You want us to see.
Open our ears to what You want us to hear.
Give us the courage and strength we need to do Your will at all times.
In Jesus' Holy Name we pray, Amen.







No comments:

Post a Comment