Thursday, December 1, 2016

My Eyes Were Opened and I Saw the "Lazarus of Today" Walk Through the Door


Hello out there - I hope you are all doing well! It has been almost two weeks since I
wrote my last post. I have good news to share with you all. In my previous post I
explained about the closing of the Sack Lunch Ministry. We will still shut down after
the meal on December 16th but it will only be temporary! We have discussed the safety
issues, and the construction/demolition/remodeling that is taking place and we have
come up with a solution we think will work. I pray that we will be able to start handing
out lunches again by mid-January. We really could use some extra volunteers and I will
keep y'all posted about the opening date. To try and help those in need during this time
of transition, we will be handing out information about the other places in town that
provide meals, clothing, etc.
The weight that his been on my shoulders and in my heart is finally receding. I wish
that I could tell you that I have handled this well but I haven't. I have been the biggest
cry baby. I know that Jim is glad the tears have stopped flowing. I've always been a
fighter, standing up for what I believe in, but I almost gave up on this important
ministry. I prayed and prayed. I felt so conflicted. I didn't know if we should just
give up or if we needed to figure out another way. I was tired and I wanted to just
let go. Have you ever heard the expression (this is not an exact, but close enough)
 "When you are down to nothing, God is up to something"? Well it's true!
 I was handing out lunches one day this week when I looked up and saw one of our
 regulars walk through the door. He was carrying his bed roll on his back. He is always
so thankful and very nice. When I saw him walk through the door on this particular day,
God touched my heart with this image;
this man is today's Lazarus. This sweet, homeless man and the people we serve are our
Lazarus of today. Get your bible and read Luke 16:19-31. I could see so clearly what
God was showing me. The picture so vivid and I was racked with guilt, and with shame
because I thought about giving up instead of trying to find another solution. I went to
confession that afternoon. I knew that I needed a clean slate so that I could continue
to be the warrior that God has called me to be. Some people probably think of me more
as a pain in the you know what, but I'm going with warrior!
On page twenty-five of the Magnificat, right below the word Mass, this is what it says:
Thursday of the First Week of Advent
Advent is the time to rebuild our house - "solidly on rock." For the Lord is an eternal
Rock." Amidst the relentless flooding and buffeting of life, the Father sets up "ramparts
to protect us" - the arms of His Son. Advent urges us to "trust in the Lord forever!"
Our "firm purpose" is to surrender ourselves to Jesus Christ. He will keep us in peace.
How appropriate - God is always talking to us. We just need to listen!
I love the following hymn written by Jesse Manibusan
Title - Open My Eyes
Verse 2 -
Open my ears, Lord. Help me to hear your voice. Open my ears, Lord.
Help me to hear.
Refrain -
And the first shall be last, and our eyes are opened and we'll hear like never before.
And we'll speak in new ways, and we'll see God's face in places we've never known.
Dear God, please help me to see Your face in everyone I meet. Please give me strength
and please help me hear Your voice so that I may listen to Your words and not the
words of the world. Amen.
Blessings to you and yours - Go out and be a light in the darkness! - Be a warrior for
truth, for the Lazarus of today!
                                                         Bye for now, Sharla







1 comment:

  1. You are a warrior and a very strong defender of those who have no voice! God will not let those you serve down. He just wanted you - and others - to trust in Him and His love, grace and mercy. God bless you and I am glad it is reopening!!! Love JoAnn

    ReplyDelete