Saturday, July 16, 2016

LIFE'S LESSONS - LEARNING NOT TO TAKE THINGS FOR GRANTED

Hello Out There! It is 6:30 p.m. and 99 degrees outside! Jim is outside feeding the
animals. I was out there with him and after we filled up the bird bath and the animal's
water bowls I decided to come back in!
I wanted to tell y'all about something that happened at the Sack Lunch Ministry on
Wednesday. Somebody left some cut up watermelon in the fridge for us to hand out
with the lunches. While Miss Rose was putting the watermelon in baggies I walked out
to the cafeteria. I asked the man who was eating his lunch at the table if he would
like for me to bring him some watermelon. He replied that yes, he would love some
watermelon. I went back into the kitchen and put a couple of slices onto a napkin and
took it to him. He thanked me and smiled. I wish you could have seen the look on his
face when he bit into the melon. His face lit up as he told me how good the melon
tasted. I smiled back and told him that I was glad he enjoyed it and then I walked away
because I didn't want him to see the tears in my eyes. I take so many things for granted -
helping at this wonderful ministry has been an eye opening experience and has touched
my heart and blessed my life in so many ways. I walked back into the kitchen and Janice
was busy mixing up tuna to serve the next day. I love being around all the wonderful
women and men who keep this important ministry going.
Other blessings from the ministry last week were -
Our faithful parishioner from Holy Angels dropped off his weekly (3)
40 count packs of water! He has been donating water every week since last November!
We have a new volunteer from Holy Angels and her beautiful smile and helpful heart
are going to bless us all!
A very sweet mother and son team came to help and ended up decorating several sacks
with uplifting messages, kind words and colorful pictures - We hope they'll come help
again!
A big thank you to our devoted volunteers who prepare the lunches and hand them out!


I've said it before - I'll say it again:
The Sack Lunch Ministry at Sacred Heart Cathedral
Gives food to the hungry
Drink to the thirsty
and Welcomes the stranger - 5 days a week!
Come and join us and be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment