Thursday, January 18, 2024

Reflection, Prayers, and Following a Star

Hello out there! It's my first post of 2024 - Happy New Year! May you and yours be blessed! 

The weather has been crazy! Freezing cold from Sunday through Wednesday and the high for today is 74! Tomorrow's low is expected to be 27  with a high of 45 degrees - Texas weather! I have been "under the weather" since Monday afternoon and I'm finally feeling better today - not very much energy but more like myself!

I know that today is January 18th but I still have my small Nativity Scene on the bottom shelf of my china hutch. When I sit down at the kitchen table, the Nativity Scene is where I can see it. Looking at the scene always touches my heart, helps me to reflect and reminds me to be thankful. About an hour ago, I was  drinking a cup of hot peppermint tea and the lights on my Nativity Scene turned off. I looked at the small statues of Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus, the shepherd holding a lamb, the three wise men, and reflected on their humble beginnings, their humble and obedient life. The wise men following a star, the shepherd finding the babe swaddled and in a manger lay. Joseph and Mary looking down at their son; and different hymns filled my head; What Child is This, Silent Night, Away in a Manger, Joy to the World, etc. And then tears filled my eyes as I thought about the times I've grumbled and complained (most times not out loud) about little things that I should not let bother me. I need to be more humble! I whispered a prayer of thanksgiving, asked for guidance, and decided what I was going to cook for dinner tonight - because sometimes my mind just works like that! Homemade potato soup - peeling potatoes is a good way to put things in perspective! I pray that I will be a light in the dark, a listening ear, a shoulder to lean on and someone you can share a laugh with!

The following are the first and second verses of  one of my favorite hymns, "The Servant Song" by Richard Gillard

Will you let me be your servant, Let me be as Christ to you; Pray that I many have the grace to let you be my servant, too.

We are pilgrims on a journey, We are travelers on the road; We are here to help each other walk the mile and bear the load. 

This year I am saying no to drama! My prayer is that I will not be the spoon that stirs the pot! I have a hymn for this one too! I'll share the 1st and 2nd verse:

Prayer of St. Francis

Make me a channel of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring your love. Where there is injury, your pardon, Lord, And where there's doubt, true faith in you.

Make me a channel of your peace. Where there's despair in life, let me bring hope. Where there is darkness - only light, And where there's sadness ever joy.

I'm always humming or singing a hymn or an old country and western song - But I love the way my prayers bring a hymn to my mind and how the words fill my heart!

I will put my little Nativity Scene away sometime soon (or not) - but for right now, it's a visible reminder for me to follow the star, look for the light of Jesus in all situations and to keep a song in my heart!

Peace and blessings to you and yours, 

near and far, wherever you are!

Bye for now, Sharla

 This is a picture of my Nativity Scene when it was the center piece on our kitchen table. 


3 comments:

  1. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you friend ..Hope you start feeling better …

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing friend!πŸ™πŸΌπŸ’•

    ReplyDelete