Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Reflection, Praise, and Prayers

Good morning out there and Merry Christmas!
Today, December 31st is the -
Seventh Day within the Octave of the Nativity of the Lord!
Isaiah 9:5
A child is born for us, and a son is given to us; his scepter of power rests
upon his shoulder, and his name will be called Messenger of great counsel.


Yesterday, December 30th was the -
Sixth Day within the Octave of the Nativity of the Lord!
and...it was my birthday! I love that my birthday falls on this special day!
I am thankful for another year of life.





I want to share something from the Magnificat, my daily Catholic devotional.
This book has the readings from the Old and New Testaments
of the Bible and Responsorial Psalms that will be proclaimed at daily Mass.
The booklet also includes;
morning prayers, a hymn from the scriptures, evening prayers, a meditation
for the day, and a short story about the lives of certain Saints.
The following is from the morning prayer section for December 30th.
Jim and I were at the Adoration Chapel when I read these scriptures and the
reflection. I interrupted his prayers because I had to share this beautiful
message from our Lord!

Canticle of Judith 16:1, 13-15
1)"Strike up the instruments,
 a song to my God with timbrels, chant to the Lord with cymbals;
Sing to him a new song, exalt and acclaim his name.
13-15)"A new hymn I will sing to my God.
O Lord, great are you and glorious, wonderful in power and unsurpassable.
Let your every creature serve you; for you spoke, and they were made,
You sent forth your spirit, and they were created; no one can resist your word."
The mountains to their bases, and the seas, are shaken;
the rocks, like wax, melt before your glance."
"But to those who fear you,
you are very merciful.


 1 Samuel 12:2
As for me, I am old and gray. I have lived with you from my youth to the
present day.


Anna had grown old in faith and hope, but when she saw the Child of God's
promise brought to the temple, she sang in her heart a new song of praise
and thanksgiving. One is never too old to be surprised by joy.




It's almost like a gift just for me, to read these beautiful words on my birthday.
I am growing older and grayer. But I am also a joyful woman. I have so much
love in my heart. I really relate to the last line:
"she sang in her heart a new song of praise and thanksgiving. One is never too
old to be surprised by joy."
I pray that God will always help me to see the beauty
in this world, to always be joyful and to be a light for all those around me.


There are going to be a couple of small pot holes on my journey during the
next couple of months but I know that God will be with me through it all.
My mind goes to this hymn and the truth each verse speaks. It is one of my
favorite songs.
The Servant Song by Richard Gillard
Verse:1,6
Will you let me be your servant, let me be as Christ to you;
Pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant too.
Verse:2
We are pilgrims on a journey, we are travelers on the road;
We are here to help each other walk the mile and bear the load.
Verse:3
I will hold the Christ-light for you in the night-time of your fear;
I will hold my hand out to you, speak the peace you long to hear.
Verse:4
I will weep when you are weeping; When you laugh I'll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow til we've seen this journey through.
Verse:5
When we sing to God in heaven we shall find such harmony,
born of all we've known together of Christ's love and agony.
Verse:6
Will you let me be your servant, let me be as Christ to you;
Pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant too.


I am always praying for you - near or far - wherever you are.
And now I'm asking for your prayers and also praying that
God will give me the grace to let you be my servant too.


The picture below includes my birthday present from my thoughtful husband.
It goes perfectly with the cross he bought for me several years ago.
Together they make a unique and amazing centerpiece for our kitchen table!
Yes, I am thankful and I will sing praises to the Lord!



No comments:

Post a Comment