Friday, June 8, 2018

Red Roses, Lemon Bars, and 35 Years of Marriage - Pretty Awesome!

Hello out there! I am way behind on my posts! Jim and I celebrated 35 years of
marriage earlier this week. We were so blessed at Mass on Sunday night. One couple,
some good friends of ours, asked for Anniversary prayers (Mass Intentions) for us.
Another couple, and also dear friends of ours, prayed for us after Mass. Both couples
have been married a lot longer than we have! We visited with another couple (also
friends) as we were walking to our vehicles and we talked about how important
it is for married couples to have God in their lives. I shared the peanut butter story.
I'll repost it in case y'all haven't read it! On Monday we received a very special
anniversary card in the mail from a wonderful friend. Our hearts are full from all
the warm wishes, prayers, and blessings we have received from our family and
friends. We have had a great week.
Our anniversary was on Monday. Jim and I are simple people, thankful for what we
have, and we celebrate special days the same way. I am always baking something
because Jim has a sweet tooth. I haven't made Lemon Bars since Easter and I decided
to bake some for him on Monday. He came home with two beautiful red roses for me.
I fixed dinner and we sat at the kitchen table, ate and had a nice visit. We went out
to eat on Tuesday evening with five other couples from our parish and the Associate
Pastor (whom we all love) and will be transferring to another parish at the end of this
month. Tonight we are going out with another couple, who were married on the same
date, seventeen years before us. They are some of our closest friends and we have
celebrated many anniversaries together. I told our daughter that we were celebrating
the "Big 35" all week long - seems appropriate! I want to share some memories
from "Anniversaries Past" and special posts about marriage so if you want to
look back with me...…………….they'll be posted below the pictures!
I took this picture on Tuesday morning -
the lemon bars are almost gone!
The roses were beautiful then but.....

look at them now! I took this picture earlier today -
they are even more beautiful!
The lemon bars are all gone!

35 Years of Memories!
Don't worry, I'm only sharing a few!

The following is from last year's memory-The link is below if you want to read it all.
I promised to love my husband for better or worse, for richer or poorer, through the
good days and bad days and until death do us part. I have been blessed with a good,
God fearing man. Jim is my knight in shining armor and always stands by my side.
 A wedding is just a day - but a marriage is a life time and it takes work. Like a
garden, you have to lovingly tend to it.
 Love, patience, kindness, forgiveness, and communication are a must -
but most important - you need to make sure that God is right in the center, right there
with you and then everything else will fall into place.

This memory is from two years ago. I love the scriptures I included in this one.
The link will be below it.
One of my favorite scriptures from the bible is from Genesis, when Adam sees Eve
for the  first time -
Genesis 2:21-24
So the Lord God cast a deep sleep on the man, and while he was
asleep, he took out one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh.
The Lord God then built up into a woman the rib that he had taken from the man.
When he brought her to the man, the man said:
"This one, at last, is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh;
This one shall be called 'woman,' for out of 'her man' this one has been taken."
That is why a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife, and
the two of them become one body.
Another one of my favorite scriptures that I think is so important for a happy
marriage and a loving family is this one -
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Love is patient; love is kind. Love is not jealous, it does not put on airs,
it is not snobbish. Love is never rude, it is not self-seeking,
it is not prone to anger; neither does it brood over injuries.
Love does not rejoice in what is wrong but rejoices with the truth.
There is no limit to love's forbearance, to its trust, its hope, its power to endure.

This is the "peanut butter story" - make sure you click on the link - it's a great analogy
that I heard a priest explain while I was listening to the Catholic radio station.
The following is the last paragraph from my story.
This morning I fixed Jim some peanut butter and jelly crackers. While I was in the
kitchen, Jim was in our room getting ready for work. As I put the peanut butter
on the crackers, I thought about what that priest said. I poured a cup of coffee for
Jim and carried it to our room. He was kneeling on our hard floor saying his morning
prayers. I sat the coffee down on the dresser, placed my hand on his shoulder and kissed
the top of his head. An overwhelming feeling came over me. I just felt so blessed that
in our marriage, we have God to help hold us together.

And finally, two more -
I really enjoy drinking coffee in the morning, my husband does too. It all started
with a gift I received at my bridal shower many years ago!

The final and following memory is really just one of many steps in our mission - still
working together as a pro-life couple - speaking up for the weakest among us.
I wish I could describe the peace I feel in my heart, the joy and love I feel when
we are speaking up for the unborn, when Jim and I are working together to get the
pro-life message out there. Knowing with absolute certainty that this is what WE,
as a couple have been called to do is both humbling and awesome at the same time.
I am sharing this with you to ask for your prayers. Please pray for Jim and I as
we continue speaking out for the unborn, because I finally realize that our mission
is going to be a very busy, day to day pro-life way of life.

                                                      Blessings to you and yours!
                                                                  Bye for now, Sharla
















No comments:

Post a Comment