Sunday, February 11, 2018

Looking Forward to Lent!

Hello out there! I hope that y'all have had a great week!
Ash Wednesday is this Wednesday!
Lent is a really good time to reflect and listen to God. I'm really looking forward to
the season of Lent this year. I've been thinking about things I want to do for others
during this time. I also want to slow down a little bit and pray more. I'm going to give
up putting cream in my coffee during Lent. I think that will help to remind me each
morning that I want to begin my day with prayer and scripture and that I need to focus
on what God wants, not what I want. I am also planning on getting up a half hour earlier
to begin my mornings by reading the daily scriptures and gospel in my Magnificat.
I want to get in the habit of beginning my day like this - as of right now;
I do this sporadically. Many times I wait until I'm ready for bed and then while I'm
reading the scriptures something will jump off the page and I think,
"I should have read this earlier!"
I'm also going to make a point of doing something for someone else every day;
little acts of kindness each and every day.


The following scripture is after the Prayer for the Morning in my Magnificat -
Matthew 7:7-8
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds;
and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.


The readings for today are from:
Leviticus 13:1-2, 44-46 (Old Testament)
1 Corinthians 10:31-11:1 (New Testament)


I want to share this reading with you -
A reading from the first Letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians
Brothers and Sisters:
Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do,
do everything for the glory of God.
Avoid giving offense, whether to the Jews or Greeks
or the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in every way,
not seeking my own benefit but that of the many,
that they may be saved.
Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.


The Gospel reading for today is from:
Mark 1:40-45


I think it's neat that Valentine's Day falls on Ash Wednesday this year or I guess it's
the other way around - Ash Wednesday falls on Valentine's Day!
I found this picture and blessing on Facebook -
Happy Valentine's Day!

Pray for each other and always lift each other up. Little things mean so much -
hugs, holding hands, smiles and laughter, making a special dinner,
and Jim has a sweet tooth so I bake a lot!
Be kind and say thank you and ask about each other’s day.
Marriage is a lifetime - make wonderful memories along the way!

May you be blessed during the season of Lent!
Bye for now, Sharla


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good plan! We did an exercise at prayer group and asked the Lord what He wanted us to do! For me it will be posting love on fb every day! Will definitely be a challenge! God bless, JoAnn.

    ReplyDelete