Thursday, June 1, 2017

Another Tearful Goodbye


Good morning out there - I wasn't going to write about this right now...but my heart
hurts so much that it won't let me post anything else until I get this off my chest.
For those of you who read my blog on a regular basis, you know how much I have
loved being part of the Sack Lunch Ministry. I've written stories about the people we
serve, our devoted volunteers, and the blessings that have been poured upon this
ministry to keep it going. We have been serving sack lunches to those in need for
almost four years.
Several things have happened since we opened back up in mid-January. Our down-
town area is not as safe as it once was. The following things have occurred at our
parish and in the surrounding areas. Things have been stolen, vehicles have been
broken into and we have noticed obvious signs of drug abuse. There have been some
verbal outbursts as well.
Even though I  understand why we have to shut down - it doesn't make it any easier.
We will hang up the signs today announcing that our last day to serve lunches will
be next Wednesday, June 7, 2017.
It will be hard to tell those we serve that we are closing down.
Some of them, we know their stories and we also know their names. Some have been
coming since the beginning and others have just started. Some are alone and others
have families. We have greeted them with warm hellos' and God's blessings as they
leave. This has been a wonderful ministry - a much needed ministry - and it will be
hard to say goodbye. I have cried many tears as I've written this short post. I feel like
I will be able to share our sad news with those we serve without breaking down but I
won't guarantee it. For the past four years we have fed the hungry, given drink to the
thirsty, welcomed the stranger, given clothes to the naked, and hope to the weary.
I know that God will help us find another way to reach out to those in need.
Please pray for the homeless. Please pray for all of those in need.









No comments:

Post a Comment