Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Potato Soup, Buttermilk Biscuits, AND a Red Ryder BB Gun

Hello out there! I love to cook and lately I just haven't spent much time in the kitchen.
So - Saturday afternoon I got busy! I put my big frying pan on the stove and started
cooking a pound of Owen's Regular Breakfast Sausage. While the sausage was
simmering I got out all the ingredients to make homemade, yes, from scratch, butter-
milk biscuits! I like the recipe that is on the back of the Gold Medal Self Rising Flour
sack. I didn't have any buttermilk so I used the tip I told y'all about in one of  my
previous posts - 1tsp. white distilled vinegar per every 1/3 cup of milk. The recipe
calls for one cup of milk so I added one tablespoon of vinegar to my milk and let
it sit while I whipped up the rest of the ingredients. By the time I added the milk it had
soured and thickened - buttermilk! I don't roll out and cut the biscuits. I wash my hands
really well and then I dust them with flour and grab some dough and shape it in my
hands and place it on the cookie sheet. While one pan of biscuits were baking I decided
to go ahead and whip up another batch! I stirred the sausage that was cooking and then
I took the first pan of biscuits out of the oven and placed them in my little basket that
I lined with napkins. I put the other pan of biscuits in the oven and then I started
dicing up potatoes. My daughter called to see where I was (during this time of year
they know to call first - because I might be in the courtyard!) I told her that I was at
home and baking up a storm! She said that they were going to stop by. By the time
they arrived, a big pot of potato soup was simmering on the stove, my little basket
was overflowing with hot, homemade biscuits, tea was brewing and I was fixing to
bake chocolate chip cookies with pecans! My daughter said, "It's so good to see you
in the kitchen!" She immediately started slicing and buttering biscuits! They all ate
one! My oldest granddaughter began to help me mix up the cookies. I baked one pan
of cookies before they left and they each ate one while they were still warm. I have
to tell y'all - I make really awesome chocolate chip cookies. Jim was working while
all this baking was going on and what a nice surprise for him to come home to a
warm, home cooked meal! I shared with y'all in my last couple of posts about how
tired and drained I've been feeling - I think I just needed to spend some time at home.
Hearing my grown daughter, who has a family of her own, say how good it was to
see me in the kitchen made me smile. Seeing the look on Jim's face when he got home
and saw the basket overflowing with biscuits, a plate of chocolate chip cookies,
and a big pot of soup on the stove made my heart swell. Most of the time it is the
simple things in life that make people happy. I love being a homemaker! Sometimes
I get a little too caught up in all of my ministries and I have to be reminded that my
family still needs me too! And I need them! My heart feels much lighter. My tummy
definitely feels fuller! I made sausage and gravy on Sunday. Jim and I ate buttermilk
biscuits covered in sausage and gravy after Mass on Sunday evening - it was great!
I'm not sure which was better; the potato soup with buttermilk biscuits on Saturday
evening or the buttermilk biscuits with sausage and gravy on Sunday - we enjoyed
both meals and made sure we thanked God, for our many blessings!
On a different note - There is a red-tailed hawk stalking our chickens! That big old
chicken hawk has killed two of them! Yesterday I was helping Jim round up a couple
of sheep to take the sale (that is a whole other story) and I came across a headless
chicken as I was closing the gate - I could have gone my whole life without seeing
that! I guess I will have to get out my Red Ryder BB Gun - watch out you chicken
hawk - I'm ready!
                                                          Blessings to you and yours!
                                                                    Bye for now, Sharla

No comments:

Post a Comment